CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

1.17.2009

Finally... I'm Proud to be a Glendalian!

So I needed to blog this very night about how wonderful today was!!!!
(But apparently I didn't need to actually post the blog until 2 days later! ;)
To start it off, I got to start off my morning cuddling with my sweet Jed! --Although that seems like an everyday indulgence, I have gained a new level of appreciation for it as I have a sinus infection and have been so congested for the last 3 days that sometimes I can't even blow my nose! (As a side note, I also haven't tasted anything since Wednesday... it's really weird, but at the moment I'm taking advantage of it by eating salad that's on the very brink of being too brown to eat--and without any dressing! Never again will such a dangerous feat be attempted :) Anyway, apparently such a condition leads to snoring. So in order to avoid keeping Jed awake with my nasal musical stylings (and in hopes of stealing a nocturnal breath or two through my nose by propping myself up on lots of pillows against the arm of the couch), I have spent the last two nights on the couch in the family room. I still can't breathe through my nose, but we got tired (pardon--no, enjoy! the pun! :) of these separate sleeping arrangements and took a crazy chance--I slept in our bedroom last night! :) It was so refreshing to fall asleep next to the love of my life, and to wake up next to him, too!
So after such a glorious start to my day, I enjoyed being super productive--I organized two areas of the house that have been on my to do list for like a month! I laughed a ton with Taggert! I got to hear fun soccer stories when Jed came home from his game this morning! I got an unsolicited kiss from my baby boy for giving him juice when he woke up!
And then Tagg and I took a bike ride over to Park West, a really classy outdoor mall about 2 miles from our house. It was such a nice ride--great sidewalks and courteous drivers all the way! We went there because, one Saturday a month, they have "Momma's Market," where they close off lots of the streets and a bunch of interesting vendors set up their wares! It was very well done, and there were so many fun things to see! My favorite parts, I, of course, got on film :)
So here they are!
He just kept running up and down and up and down this little slightly inclined ramp! I kept thinking he was going to get distracted by stuff, but nope! Nothing was as great as that ramp!

...Until... he discovered the fountain! You may notice that his sleeves are rolled up. I did that so he wouldn't get his shirt wet--we were going to be riding our bike home, and even on a real nice day, the breeze gets pretty strong and cool on a bike. Well... as you can see, sleeves were the least of my concerns! Ha! Thank goodness it took Jed about 4 minutes to drive a change of clothes over to us. And especially thank goodness he so happily does little favors like that for us all the time! Love you, Daddy!
At around 4:30, Tagg and I headed out to Glendale's Glitter and Glow, which is a block party held in cute little midwestern-looking historic downtown Glendale every year! It's our last hoo-rah before they take down the thousands of Christmas lights adorning the trees in the historic shopping district (that's the Glitter).
The coolest part is that they have lots of hot air balloons that they tether down in the middle of the blocked-off streets and inflate at sundown! They wait till then because of how awesome it looks in the dark to see them blow that fire into the balloon to keep it inflated (and that's the Glow)!
We watched as they actually inflated the balloon! It was so HUGE and kind of rolled into the crowd as it was rising! We were both amazed!
They have lots of vendors in the main park area as well, but I really enjoyed all the bands they had scattered throughout the neighborhood! Strolling through downtown Glendale, as soon as we got too far away to hear one band's style of music, we got in earshot of another band's style! We heard swing, oldies, reggae and rock n roll! It was great!
They were projecting "Horton Hears a Who" in this outdoor theater area, they had a lot of space set aside for carnival rides, and in another area they had two colorful clowns on stilts making balloon animals!

Now, you most of you know that I have previously expressed a ...lack of appreciation... for Arizona. Sometimes it's the plethera of rocks, sometimes it's the insane heat, sometimes it's the lack of extended family and/or trees and/or grass that drives my lack of appreciation, but as I walked around downtown Glendale tonight, I loved the fact that so many people turn out for this wonderful event. I loved the fact that the powers that be in Glendale's government take the time to come up with all these interesting things to do and see during Glitter and Glow. I loved the fact that this event is indicative of how many creative things there are to do all the time in Glendale. I loved the fact that so many people are willing to offer their services and their smiling faces to twist balloons into animals, to set up their hot-air balloons, to patrol the area, to perform in bands... And I loved the fact that I am a member of this community. I love the fact that this is my home. I am a Glendalian, and I am so proud to say it!
I pledge never to wait this long to let myself bloom no matter where I am planted!

To top off such a spledid day, Taggert laughed his head off the entire way home, and when we arrived, I entered the kitchen only to find Jed taking dinner out of the oven-- the dinner that he had made as a perfectly-timed :) surprise for me! Sigh. Life is so good!


So, since you've allowed me to get on my soap box and share my epiphany, I'll reward you with some adorable pictures of the star of this blog...

Three reasons why it was so much fun to stand there and listen to a 50's band with little Tagg:



Taggert's main course at dinner tonight after Glitter & Glow was popcorn! He tipped me off to that good idea when I looked down at the festival to see him eating a piece of popcorn off the ground! Mmmm...

2 comments:

  1. hey jess! i am so happy that you found my blog! seems like life is going so well!!! we'll have to keep in touch!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous23.1.09

    Jess, I simply loved reading every word and seeing every one of these adorable postings! Your enthusiasm for Glendale is wonderful, and we are glad for you that your are thriving where you are planted. Keep enjoying every minute. LIFE IS GOOD--VERY GOOD. Love to all of you from both of us.

    ReplyDelete